In this week’s blog we will take a look at how to manage your energy. If you find yourself constantly drained and lacking the energy to engage in your interests, taking a step back may be a good idea.
Firstly, we suggest reflecting on what energises you (energy gainers) and what zaps your energy away (energy drainers).
Some ways to help you boost your energy are:
- engage deeply with hobbies to foster the qualities of enthusiasm, creativity and mastery
- take proper breaks from your work, which means stepping away from your devices
- go for a walk
- do some mindful movement
- eat well, have a balanced diet and focus on what you’re eating rather than looking at screens
- get a good night’s sleep, free from technology
- foster connection to others building the qualities of kindness, empathy and generosity
- take a short meditation break, such as the one below:
Here are some things that will result in your energy dropping:
- scrolling through social media or your e-mail inbox
- ruminating on negative emotions such as anger, fear, stress or nervousness
- overthinking situations
- overstimulation, such as being in crowded places, particularly for introverts
- distractions preventing you from making progress
We suggest you limit the time you spend on draining activities and make time afterwards to do one of the re-energising activities suggested above. Have a look over your weekly schedule. Is it packed full of drainers with no time to replenish your energy? Look for opportunities to re-energise that don’t interfere with existing commitments such as walking to work, meditating on the bus and dedicating your full attention when you eat.